some general comments on today’s news
Posted by theintelgirl on August 10, 2006
A lot has gone on today, so I’m going to make some general comments
- The general reactive nature of airline security makes me nervous.
- No one ever thought that fanatics would use airplanes as missiles. they did. and now we reinforce airline doors and tackle unruly passengers
- No one ever thought that someone could hide a bomb in their shoe. They did. and now we have to take off our shoes at airport security
- No one ever thought that someone would bring the components on board to build the bomb from scratch, rather than bringing the explosive mixture onboard, premade. They were about to. and now we can’t bring liquids on board.
- Why are the terrorists always the proactive ones while we good guys are the reactive ones? Lack of creativity? I don’t know. lack of something, definitely.
- Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Especially the will of a jihadist willing to kill himself. It makes me nervous to think about, and I tend to believe in U.S. intelligence and homeland security when it comes to the safety of her citizens. I generally feel secure. but i will never ever feel 100% secure when it comes to terrorism.
- The “homegrown terrorist” phenomenon may not be that far off in America. I just read an article the other day (which now i cannot find) which stated the differences between Muslims in Europe and Muslims in America. The article stated (i’m just paraphrasing here since I can’t find the damn thing), that American Muslims acclimate better than European Muslims, and therefore homegrown terrorists aren’t nearly as likely “grow themselves” in America. I agree and disagree. Homegrown American Muslims willing to carry out an attack would likely not have the resources available to them to execute something large scale. However, you don’t need a large scale attack and well-coordinated plans to still scare the shit out of people. Just a few fanatics here and there. That would certainly be enough to scare me even more.
Alright folks, stay safe and sane. In closing Pew Poll